Old June 21st 08, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Tracy101

Default Newbie questions: What kind of pet carrier?

I have the biggest I can get, (about 1/2 yard wide by 3/4 yards long) so I
have room to put a long narrow container with cat litter on the side an
attach a metal water container if I need to.

However, I have discovered that some cats are totally terrified of carriers
and are better off being simply let loose in the car. Never open a window
or door, even for a split second, without putting a leash on them first, as
they will quickly jump out of the car in terror and run as fast as they can
in terror, leaving them subject to great harm or starvation.

If this should happen in spite of all precautions, try to park the car and
quietly sit beside it, calling the cat repeatedly, with very little
movement. Never RUN to chase it, as this will scare it more. Have a can
of sardines or other strong smelling food handy at all times. You may have
to wait there for half an hour or more (if there is traffic -- even possibly
waiting until darkness and quiet) calling the cat several times. It's a
most terrible, frightening, and upsetting experience for all. Hopefully the
cat will return.

One thing I discovered is that cats shouldn't be given any pills while
travelling; nor should they eat heavy meals before. Pills that make them
tired or dizzy can be really frightening to them and they may pee all over
the place in fear. Always carry lots of cat litter in the car with you, as
well as a bowl of water. On long trips, they will generally cry for the
first two hours or so, and then will get used to the driving and settle
down. If the trip will be 8 hours or so, chances are that the cat will
actually even enjoy some of the ride for the last few hours and will want to
look out of a CLOSED window.

Overall, cat's generally DON'T make good travellers and are best left at
home with someone you can really trust to come in and feed them, unless you
will be gone for quite awhile. They feel secure in their own homes and are
very uncomfortable in unfamiliar surroundings.

Don't ever travel with any cat without putting a tag on a STRETCHABLE collar
around its neck, saying IF FOUND, PLEASE CALL THIS PHONE NUMBER COLLECT,
ASAP: (Your number, including area code).
_______________________

"Newbie" wrote in message
[A very sweet stray or runaway cat has adopted us and we, ignorant of
all cat issues, are in panic. That's why I have a few posts each with a
question.]

First, we want to take her to a vet (Chicago area). She seems to have
no problems, just basic check up and shots. (She spends several hours
outdoors each day.)

What kind of pet carrier should I get that would be good for this
purpose as well as longer drives we may have to take later. In
particular, soft or hard? What kind do you use?