Old February 28th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default possible causes of occasional diarrhea

yngver wrote:
What could be some of the possible causes of occasional diarrhea (like
2-3 times a week for the past couple weeks) in an 8 year old cat who is
eating and behaving normally?

Coccidia, giardia, worms, change in diet, stress...

She is not losing weight; in fact she's
gained a few ounces over the past month or so. I suspect it might be
that we have switched foods a couple times in trying to find something
all three cats will eat, but she has always been the one that wasn't
all that choosy.

Bingo.

The stool is normal color, just soft although
sometimes it was kind of runny. I've been watching her and she doesn't
show any urgency or added frequency although if another cat is near she
will hang around until the cat leaves the room. (We have two litter
boxes in the same room, on opposite sides).

She has an appt. with the vet next week but I was wondering what the
possibilities might be if they have diarrhea but do not appear to be
ill. One of the other cats had an episode awhile ago too but not at the
same time so I'm not sure if it might be food related or something
else, like bacteria or a parasite. The third cat seems to be perfectly
normal in the stool dept.
-Yngver

Hi Yngver - nice to see you again. I suspect it's switching the
foods. But since you are going to the vet, have them do a stool sample
analysis to check for parasites. Coccidia can cause recurrrent bouts
of diarrhea, and many times kitties have no other symptoms.

-L.