Old March 2nd 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default possible causes of occasional diarrhea

Phil P. wrote:
"yngver" wrote in message
ups.com...

-L. wrote:
yngver wrote:
What could be some of the possible causes of occasional diarrhea (like
2-3 times a week for the past couple weeks) in an 8 year old cat who

is
eating and behaving normally?

Coccidia, giardia, worms, change in diet, stress...

Are worms, etc. likely in the dead of winter, however? The other thing
that does concern me is stress--I think she is more sensitive to stress
than the other two and although it doesn't really involve her, the
other two fight (not physically, just posturing and growling until one
backs down) a lot and I know it upsets her.

Sure. Stress can cause diarrhea in cats- especially if its intermittent and
you can't find any other cause. Still, you might want to opt for a
fecal exam.

Good luck,

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I'm taking her to the vet next week anyway for her annual
check-up and will bring in whatever stool sample I can find. I have
been examining the contents of the litter boxes more closely lately
(yuck, but necessary) and it seems to be normal most of the time. I
have three identical litter boxes for three cats but they all seem to
prefer the same one, so there is some territorial dispute over who gets
to use the prime one, I guess.
-Yngver