Old April 18th 05, 01:35 PM
Ron Herfurth

If you don't want to fill out any forms, give a reference, or deal with
humans in any way then start trapping ferals. Just find a vet that is
willing to do ferals and buy a cat friendly trap. After you're got a
"formless" cat in the trap cover it with a towel, take it to your vet, and
put lots of newspaper under it when you set it down in the vets office. Then
pick your new pet up and take him home.
It helps if you have a good size cage to start them in cause they're a lot
of work to socialize but just think about all the work you saved by not
filling out those pesky forms and dealing with those nosy people. And if you
extrapolate a little, you've saved thousands of unwanted kittens from a life
of suffering.

ron
the above rant was partly sarcastic and partly sincere, figuring out which
parts are which is left to the judgment of the reader.

While I realize most small rescue groups do good work, my experience
with these groups and with shelters is that their rules for adoption
are indicative of people who are at their core distrustful towards
their fellow humans. There is something evil about having to sit down
and fill out an application for an animal which is so nosy. Many
people object to this repressive arrogance of these shelters and then
they turn to pet shops. So, you see, by not allowing people to adopt
you turn them into liars, or you turn them to pet shops. But they WILL
get a pet, and so what purpose have these stupid, evil, long-winded,
nosy applications do? They have done more evil than good.

I find the rescue group people a lot more sincere than the shelter
people, but all too often their applications look like child-adoption
papers also! The very groups that rage against puppy and kitten mills
actually support them by driving customers to the shops. Its
incredibly sad to go to these shelters and see cage after cage filled
with animals who could have a home if not for the stupid application
forms. The saddest thing I ever saw was a man who was turned down
because he didn't have a vet for the animal he already had. For shame!
The animal he wanted was better off with this gentleman than stuck in
a cage and never adopted! But the rich biddies who run the shelter
didn't think so--and so to me, they are the evil, they are animal
abusers, people who would deny a pet a home! Remember, poor people are
just as deserving of pets as anyone else.

I've become so disgusted that although I've adopted from shelters
before, I will never do so again. I've got nothing to hide, but I
object to being made to feel like a child. The people at these
shelters have such contempt for most of us mere mortals, and frankly
I'd rather not play their game anymore.