Old April 27th 04, 07:24 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Why do you feel that it is barbaric?

The whole idea of 'showing' cats just seems pretty pointless to me.

Can't disagree with you there.

I think using a term as loaded as "barbaric" for something that does no
harm is a bit, well, heavy-handed.
There's a lot of things in this world I'd call barbaric. They include
circumcision, animal testing, fur farms, declawing, and all kinds of
other atrocities that DO harm and sometimes kill.
As much as I don't think showing animals is a lot of fun for them, I
wouldn't call it barbaric. Pointless, yes. To me anyway. Cruel? No. No
more cruel than making our children dress nice and sit quietly in
church, someplace I'm pretty sure they'd rather not be. *eg*

Cruel is breeding cats (and dogs) with such pushed-in faces that they
have problems with as basic an act as breathing.
(glad to hear persian breeders have been toning THAT down)

I guess it's all relative, though.

Two hundred years on and we're still patting each other on the back
for breeding animals.

Classic.
And how true. Though it's been well more than 200 years that we've been
breeding animals (world-wide).

~kaeli~
He often broke into song because he couldn't find the key.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace