Old October 4th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default Cat heart murmur and incompetent humane society vet

mdsu wrote:

Lynne,

Thanks very much for the information. I canceled the appointment with
the cardiologist. I spoke again with my vet and she did say that it
wasn't imperative that Charlie see the cardiologist. His energy level is
off the charts and his appetite is excellent. Charlie was panting and
open mouth breathing after play last week, but that's probably because
he came home with an upper respiratory infection. (Charlie was sneezing
a lot too.) But all symptoms have cleared.

For the time being I'm going to assume that Charlie's murmur is not a
big deal. I'll keep an eye on him, and take him to see the cardiologist
if and when I notice any problems.

And fyi, I heard from the humane society and gave it to them a little
bit. The woman said to just bring him back. But Charlie is not a piece
of trash. I'm not going to return him to the shelter and what would be
almost certain death. I'm just more than a little annoyed that their vet
can't take 15 seconds to listen to the chest of an animal. I know they
have to deal with a lot of animals, but what I propose doesn't take that
much additional time. The woman with whom I spoke added that many
shelters don't have vets. That's beside the point because this shelter
does have one.

Again, thanks very much for the help.

Best,
Rich

You are very welcome. So long as your vet agrees, I am happy to help.
Pay close attention to Charlie for any of the symptoms I mentioned. If
they appear, get him to the cardiologist. It wouldn't hurt to take him
to see your regular vet in a month or two for a checkup. If the murmur
is quieter or gone, that may ease your mind. Hopefully it was
transient or he will outgrow it.

Take good care. Charlie is lucky to have you!