Old August 12th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

Default Catnipped's new cat tree

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:57:40 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
.. .

We just bought the girls a new cat tree of their own, but it's not
nearly as nice as yours... really we got ripped off. Never ever
EVER buy a super-cheap cattree on Ebay! I thought it would be big
enough for Silver to climb on it comfortably and the perches are TINY
so she only just fits... Not to mention it's unstable as heck because
the base is far too small for it and our ceiling isn't even enough to
make the screw-in-top sit firmly - Silly and Tessie were exploring it
and Tessie tried to bound up it like she did the old one, and she
shook it right loose from the ceiling! Fortunately it rocked and went
back into place without actually falling over, but they both got the
fright of their lives (and so did I because I was watching at the
time!)

Karen, I got to thinking about this... would it be possible for you to buy
a large square piece of plywood and screw that into the bottom of your cat
tree - that would give it a larger base and make it less likely to tip
(you'd have to get some rather thick plywood so it's heavy enough to
stabilize it)? Other than that, all I can think of is to make sure you
anchor it into a wall or ceiling stud.

I've already told John that if we're going to keep that tree, we'll
have to make an anchor for it and fasten it to the door frame (it's
sitting in the corner of the livingroom in front of the door we don't
use) so they can't tip it over by getting too enthusiastic about it.
So far they seem to be fine - they're treating it much more delicately
since the tipping incident - I think they both got the message that
they need to tread with care around it! The notion of a larger base of
some sort also crossed my mind... but it's such a POS that I don't
think it's worth spending any more money on than the $65 we already
did!