Old July 7th 04, 04:26 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Sherry " wrote in message
Rant On.
We found two baby kittens in the flowerbed this morning. We live in the
country, with no close neighbors. They didn't walk here by themselves.

Someone
dumped them.
This isn't the first time. Or the second or third. I hate people who dump
animals. Hate isn't a word I use very often, but I hate them. These babies

are
tiny, probably not 10 weeks old. Do people think a 10-week-old kitten can

fend
for itself? The are *very* well socialized. They were relatively in good

shape,
except for being covered with fleas, ticks and stickers.

I live in a very urban area, and found my Otto out on the street four years
ago. He was huddled behind bars outside a basement window of my building,
which my bedroom window overlooked. His cries woke me up and I tried going
back to sleep for a couple of hours (it was early) but couldn't. Finally
got up, got dressed and went outside. He was about six months old at the
time. I pulled him out from behind the bars, he crawled up to my neck and
started purring. He definitely came from a home, because he was clean, very
friendly, and knew what the litterbox was for. Several days after I found
him, I saw another kitten, the same size as Otto (but a beautiful female
tabby) across the street. I don't remember where I was going but I was in a
big hurry. I did stop to pet her, and she began to follow me up the street.
I knew that she had to be Otto's sister, and that someone probably dumped
them outside. They were about six months old, and I guess they weren't too
cute anymore. I searched for the female tabby when I got back home and
couldn't find her. I found an empty cat food can by where I first saw her,
so I hope someone took her in. I actually had a nightmare about her that
night. To this day, I say to Otto, "I can't believe someone threw a
perfectly good cat like you out".

There are strays in my neighborhood (I live across the street from a big
park) and seeing them doesn't affect me the way Otto and the little tabby
did. The strays run from people, but these cats definitely were thrown out.
I really wish I had been able to find the tabby, even though three cats in
my small apartment would have been too much.

I also think that people who just throw away unwanted animals deserve a
special place in hell.

Liz