Old June 13th 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra

Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

"Rhino" wrote in
:

I simply pull the mat out with my fingers. I get a firm grip on it
while the cat is lying, sitting or standing still and pull it slowly
but firmly until it is separated from the cat. Bebop does not cry or
scratch or fight me in any way when I do this. I find this approach
very simple.

I once inadvertently cut a quarter-sized hole in his skin when trying
to cut a mat out. He didn't cry or fuss about that either but I was
astonished how long it took that hole to heal. I didn't see a scab
begin to form for almost three weeks; I really wondered if it was ever
going to heal. It eventually scabbed over and the fur grew back so
that you can't see where it happened but it took a long time.

--
Rhino

That's it I'm never going to cut mats out of Mage's fur. I don't want
to take the chance on hurting him -- no matter how tough he acts.

I will try your idea of pulling the mats out w/my fingers though.