Old January 12th 17, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

Default Preferred Golf Ball

On 2017-01-11 1:55 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Buffy's choice of golf ball is a Titleist #3 for bapping weight and
bounceability. She will accept a Pinnacle #4 golf ball if she can't
find her first choice.

I never really noticed before why she seems to prefer one golf ball over
the other.

I keep a pair of rubber flip-flops next to the back door for stepping
outside to do things on the patio. She likes to try to bap a ball into
one of my flip flops when they're sitting by the door.

Each cat has its own preferences! I got a kind of circular track with a
little ball trapped in it, so it can't escape under the furniture.

Minnie's preferred "ball" is one of those round plastic fishing floats sometimes
referred to as a "bobber" - hers is about an inch and a half in diameter and has
a ridge around the middle where the top and bottom half were joined which makes
it do funny things when it's rolling around on the floor. It also has the button
on top that you push to expose the little hook that comes out the bottom for you
to clip it onto your fishing line, which often makes it go off in an unexpected
direction when it's rolling.

I think its tendency to change direction unexpectedly and go around in a circle
when it hits that ridge is what she likes because it simulates prey changing
direction unpredictably so she gets to practice her predator's skills. However,
it does tend to end up in a few places where I have to retrieve it for her, like
under the refrigerator. She's also quite inventive at finding ways to let me
know when she needs me to get her "ball" back for her and showing me where it's
become trapped.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY