Old March 23rd 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default 16 yr. old cat constantly throwing up

"jmc" wrote

Stay on canned food. Fancy Feast is actually very good for cats.
High protein and low or no carbs.

Well... some varieties. My understanding is that the quality of Fancy
Feast varies between varieties.

Correct. About 40% of them are grain-free and perfectly fine.

For instance, I remember reading that the grilled versions are not a good
choice, though I can't cite my reference. Meep mostly gets the classics,
usually something with liver or giblets.

I read the cans and get the grain free ones (she has had ear and coat issues
on grain versions, pretty sure it's wheat gluten in her case). Daisy-chan
can handle a few treats with grain (say, 1-2 pounce a day) with no harm, but
not her regular food.

I vary the brands about though as I learned a long time ago, a cat fed the
same thing too long gets turned into a picky eater and i don't mean just the
normal 'I don't like (insert type of meat)' but refuses to eat anything else
even when obviously hungry. Oddly most of my cats have refused 'tuna' but
they generally like anything else though they may have a second item they
didn't like much. (Vamp didn't like shrimp, Roscoe wasn't fond of chicken,
Face wasn't fond of beef and so on).

I vary types of food and brands as well. I don't get wellness. They don';t
have any grain free versions here.