Old July 14th 04, 01:11 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Devlin Tay"

So I am at a dilemma - should I risk stopping the use of the drugs and rely
on the higher fibre combination w/d and r/d diets to keep Toby's bowels
moving?

If it were my cat, I would put him on a homemade diet, and also consult with a
holistic vet. Constipation sometimes occurs when the cat doesn't get enough
bulk in his diet or doesn't get enough exercise. Always make sure the
litterbox is clean so the cat doesn't get into the habit of holding it in.
Another thing you could try is adding olive oil. This can act as a tonic for
the intestinal tract and stimulate liver bile. Any excess oil will help
lubricate the fecal mass and sooth mucus membrane of the intenstine and rectum.
I would suggest 1/2 to 1 teaspoon 2 times a day, mixed with food, until he is
going regularly. It can also be given once a week for hairball prevention.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe