Old August 9th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default rec.pets.cats.anecdotes scheduled for sporge flood

Yowie wrote:

so if you do post a recipe please be
careful as to the newsgroup line.

It's mushroom season, and this is a good year for forest mushrooms. The
shops are full of chanterelles, especially. Mmmm! This is is a very
simple dish I made the other day:

Zucchini au gratin

1 large zucchini/marrow (make sure it's fresh - it has to be hard as a
rock - or it will taste bitter)
½ litre chanterelles
olive oil
1 large onion
salt, pepper
Parmesan or other strong cheese

Trim the ends off the zucchini/marrow and cut it in half lengthwise.
With a spoon, scoop out the innards and chop the pulp. Sprinkle with
salt and set aside. Sprinkle some salt on the halves and set aside to
'weep'.

Chop the chanterelles roughly. Put them in a dry, hot frying pan. Let
them cook in their own juices until the pan is almost dry, then add the
chopped zucchini pulp and cook until the pan is almost dry again. Add
oil and the chopped onion. Cook until the onion is soft. Add salt and
pepper.

While the filling is cooking, pre-bake the zucchini halves for 5 minutes
in the oven at 200 C. Take them out, scoop the filling into the halves,
sprinkle cheese on top, and gratinate for 15 minutes or until the cheese
has melted. Serve with new potatoes and a salad.

When I make this in the winter, I have to use factory-grown mushrooms,
and to spice it up, I add some chili powder to the filling. But these
fresh chanterelles are so mild in taste, I don't want to spoil them with
too many spices.