Old April 29th 16, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Default Cats!

On 4/29/2016 5:38 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
Joy wrote:
Each cat, and each combination of cats, causes things to change. They
have changed things, both regarding treats and canned food.

For years I‘ve been giving two kinds of treats. One kind is really just
Friskies, and the other is the real treats. Pickles and Waffles(RB)
figured out that the real treats were the best. Usually Waffles would
come for the treats, which I give before each of my meals and at
bedtime. Sometimes Pickles would come, and sometimes she wouldn‘t.
Because the real treats always got gobbled down first, I wouldn‘t give
them unless both cats were there. Waffles figured that out, so he would
go and get Pickles at treat time.

Somehow, after Waffles was gone and I got Koala, I started giving both
kinds of treats whether there were one or two cats in the kitchen at the
time. Sometimes when I fix a meal, neither of the cats comes. Sometimes
just Koala comes. If I pick up a treat can and shake it, he‘ll run out
of the room to get Pickles. If she doesn‘t come with him, he usually
doesn‘t come back. Generally she‘ll come with him and they share the
treats.

When I got Pickles & Waffles, I was already giving Lindy(RB) a little
canned food every evening. My vet recommends dry food, so that‘s what
they ate mostly. Waffles decided he wanted canned food too, so I gave
him some when I gave it to Lindy. Pickles wasn‘t interested, except
when it was tuna, and then she wanted some.

I started the same thing with Koala, giving him 1/8 of a can of food
every evening before I have my dinner. Pickles was the same way -
ignored the food except for the tuna. At some point, Koala decided that
he needed canned food in the morning too. The usual routine was that,
as soon as Koala had the canned food, Pickles would run into the living
room. I‘d follow her and give her skritches and tummy rubs.

A few weeks ago, Pickles started showing interest in the canned food.
Every so often she‘d watch as I served it, and start eating along with
Koala. The dish is oval, so at first that was possible. Eventually
Pickles would push Koala away, and I‘d fix him another dish of the food.
That started happening more and more often. Finally they both decided
that Pickles should have canned food in the morning, but not in the
evening. If she isn‘t there when I start to fix the cat food before I
fix my dinner, Koala will go and get her. In the evening she doesn‘t
come out for it, and he doesn‘t go after her.

I wrote the above last night. This morning Pickles took a quick look at
the food and followed me into the living room.

Cats!

They certainly know how to train us and we love it, I know I do. I love
how Pickles has been fetched by Waffles and Koala, they soon work out the
system don't they?

Judith

Yes, they do. This morning again, Pickles was in the kitchen and eager
for her canned food - until I put the dishes down. Then she sniffed at
it and ran into the living room. I guess she likes quality time with
me, without Koala horning in, more than she likes the food.

If Koala isn't eating, or very soundly sleeping inside a bed, he always
comes running if I start petting Pickles. I'd pet both of them, since I
have two hands, but she won't share. Of course he always moves into a
position so that she can see that I'm petting him, too.