Old May 24th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Annie Wxill

Default Back Legs Giving Out

"MoMo via CatKB.com" u27647@uwe wrote in message news:729eea194ed06@uwe...
My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has
been
having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
brought him to the vet on Monday in fear that it was his diabetes acting
up
and was told that his blood and feces were fine and that it may be
neurological. She is waiting for them to run more tests. Other than
these
symptoms, he is fine. Normal appetite, not lethargic, goes to the
bathroom
normally (besides the occassional diarhhea). While we wait for more test
results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
have any idea what this could be?

Hello,

We once had a diabetic cat. He also did fine except that his legs became
progressively weaker. Eventually, he waddled sort of like a duck on the
hind legs, but his front legs were fine. When he could not get in the
litter box, we put those pads they use on hospital beds next to the box and
he used them.

He accepted the insulin injections without any problems.

After he got to the point where we took him in to have him euthanized, I got
a computer and Internet access. I wish I could have had access to help when
he was still alive.

I learned that the weakness in the hind legs can be caused by a potassium
deficiency. You should suggest to your friend that she ask the vet about
potassium supplementation. She can also research this online.

Best wishes to your friend and her cat.

Annie