Old November 3rd 03, 10:47 PM
William Hamblen

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:13:51 -0000, "Jeannie"
wrote:

I was talking to someone the other day about my new white cat and she asked
me if she was deaf. I said no and she said that most white cats were. I
have never heard this before, is it true?

Many blue-eyed white cats are deaf. The gene that produces the white
coat and the blue eyes can interfere with the development of the cat's
inner ear so that they are congenitally deaf. The white cat I had as
a child had good hearing (she could hear a can being opened a long way
away) and I think most white cats have normal hearing.

When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little
muddy paw prints on the hood of my car.