Old April 8th 05, 09:57 PM
Helen

"Just Conservative" wrote in message

We guess that three year old Bandit got poisoned
around Christmas time, but we didn't notice her
kidney failure until about a month ago when she
got lethargic, and noticed a huge weight loss.
Right now it looks like life-long sub-q hydration
might be needed if she survives at all. A few
days ago, she was also diagnosed with a kidney
infection.

I'm not clear why you think she was poisoned, but toxins are more likely to
cause acute renal failure, whereas it sounds like Bandit has chronic renal
failure.

We're just trying to find something she'll (Bandit) will
eat. After first aid and hydration, she started
2 weeks ago with a voratious appetite for anything
wet, and has become progressively fussy.
We had to stop giving her the KD prescription diet cuz
she wasn't eating it. Now she's starting to turn her
nose up at tuna, her former favorite, and now we've found
some ocean brew she seems to like alright. But what
if she eventually refuses that too? Any suggestions?

Things do not look good. Not just a lack of improvement.

You don't give any bloodwork, but there are a number of possible causes of
inappetance in a CRF cat, and any which are present need to be addressed to
help her appetite return:

http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms_tr...ts_index.htm#L

It might also be that the antibiotics you are giving for her infection are
also contributing to her inappetance. In the meantime, this page should
help, particularly the Persuading Your Cat To Eat section:

http://www.felinecrf.org/diet_and_nutrition.htm

I also suggest you join the CRF Support list, link on homepage of above site

HTH

Helen