Old April 30th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Colour of cat = personality of cat?

I'm not so sure about the color theory. As you say, how cats are socialized
contributes greatly to their personality. And the little buggers are just
all different - like people - even as kittens you can see personality
differences.

The example I'm thinking of - I have 2 friends who share a house. One black
cat has been aggressive and skittish since she was brought home as a kitten.
Her owner didn't expose her to other cats - but on my advice did handle,
pet, brush and play a lot with her. She's a nice one person cat - but a
terror with other cats.

Now the 2nd cat was rescued at 7-8 months. Also black. Very laid back.
Little bothers her. She was abandoned outside and my 2nd friend started
feeding her before bringing indoors. She has been kept in one bedroom until
she could be tested for feline leukemia.

Now the 2 cats are being introduced to each other. 2nd cat is used to lots
of other cats - having to cope with so many neighborhood cats outdoors. 1st
cat is still pretty upset - but they're starting to play now.

-- maryjane

"furfin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our local spca also finds it takes black cats longer to
find homes. When I was a kid I had a wonderful orange tabby and when I
first started adopting cats recently as a adult I thought I wanted
another one. But I ended up taking home a "leftover" black
kitten..still stuck in a cage at 7 months old. He had been a bit
undersocialized and although he is bonded to me he just doesn't like my
boyfriend, though my boy has always been nice to him and has been loved
by cats in the past. This black cat is strange and a bit skittish, but
he gives me nose to nose greetings and I adore him.

A year later I adopted a Maine-coon-lookalike brown tabby 6 month old
kitten. He turned into a mellow but somewhat distant kitty who likes to
watch what's happening: but he will purr while being stoked or brushed
while held upside down like a baby, a position which in my experience
most cats hate.

Both these cats are rather independant and not lap cats, so recently I
went back looking for a lap kitty. I just adopted two long-haired black
brothers, one of whom is a real lap kitty it seems at 13 months (I just
pray he stays that way!) and the other is sweet next-to-you kitty. Both
are more purry and cuddly than my first black kitty who rarely purrs
except just before dinner or in an occaisonal rolling around mood, and
both are more vocal. So there you have it, three black cats all with
different personalities.

I have a theory about the orange tabby thing. More people like orange
tabbies...they fly out of the shelter. I think that they get handled
more as kittens. In a litter or kittens with an orange tabby or two and
assorted other colors most people are going to pick up the orange
tabby, and there you go, a more social cat, nothing genetic about it.