Old June 23rd 12, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Persia's Stalking a Lizard

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

"Stalking", as best she can, through the glass door to the patio She
sure manages to spot them! She chatters at them like she does birds at the
feeder. It eluded her by crawling around under the cover to my fire pit.
She kept watching and sure enough, it came back out again. She was
fascinated!

Around here there are two kinds of lizards, anole which are rather small:

http://srelherp.uga.edu/lizards/anocar.htm

Anoles are usually bright green but if need be they turn brown. The males
have a pink spotted throat flap which expands when they are defending their
territory, or when trying to entice a female. That's cute to see. I
haven't seen may anole lizards around this year.

Then there are skinks, which can get pretty big. Skinks have alternating
stripes down their backs and have blue tails. Very pretty!

http://srelherp.uga.edu/lizards/eumine.htm

It was a young skink she was "stalking". Rumour has it they are poisonous,
but that's a myth. They just taste bad to predators.

Jill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have those same lizards here (East Texas). We also have little pink
geckos. They are actually quite pretty and and are almost translucent. I
enjoy having all of them around, and I get *lots* of them. They are great
for catching mosquitos and small insects. One problem is that one will
occasionally get in the house. I hate that because they won't last long
with two cats unless I get to them first (in which case, I place them safely
outdoors). When I first moved to Texas, I grabbed an anole by the tail in
preparation to placing it outdoors. Much to my horror, the tail fell off
and the rest of the anole went running! That's when I learned that the
tails will grow back on those lizards, although usually not to the same
length. I have been very careful since then not to pick one up by the tail.

MaryL