Old February 13th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default OMG,What else can go wrong?

On 13 Feb, 16:30, "bookie" wrote:
On 13 Feb, 15:39, "sheelagh" wrote:

Lilly the birman is feeling somewhat better, but unfortunately she
came home with a dose of the flu. Even though every single one of our
cats is inoculated against cat flu, they seem to be dropping like
flies(

Lilly is on antibiotics, & I have an appointment to take Belle, the
mother of our 4 tiny kittens to see our new practice this afternoon
@5.40 GMT.
One of the kittens is coughing, but we are at our Witt's and as to how
to isolate a kitten that is so young (1week and 4days old!!).
Mother only seems to be sneezing presently, & we have had her isolated
from the other cats since the day Lilly got home, just in case this
might happen.
Biffy the big fat blue Birman seems to be affected the worst, & he is
also isolated too, but it looks rather like he might have already
passed it on to Tazzy, our seal point Ragdoll, who's pen is along side
biffy's.
I am taking both Belle, the mother of kittens & her baby's later, as
well as Biffy & also Taz as well;thankfully so far Tiggy is unaffected
and also in isolation. Ringo shows no sign of it at all, & neither
does Lucy(fur!), but we are running out of places to isolate them all.
More news update later...
S.

lucy and ringo are hardy street urchins who have probably built a
strong immune system from lving on the streets all those years and
fending for themselves, that is prob why they have not been afflicted.

apart fromthat how is lilly doing? any more pictures? i checked out
the rcvs site yesterday and it' scode of professional conduct makes
interesting reading. basically your old vet is in serious breach of
several of their rules and they do have a complaints proceudre you can
follow, I seriously urge you to talk to them as soon as you can when
you have got over this latest crisis. have a look at the website
pleasewww.rcvs.org.uk

fingers crossed you sort out this latest drama, poor little angels,
purrs from jessie who is sending them from the radiator hammock bed
she has finally decided to use.

bookie- Hide quoted text -

[...]

strong immune system from living on the streets all those years and
fending for themselves, that is prob why they have not been afflicted.

The Cromwell agree with you. apparently there is a terrible new strain
that gas evolved & has never seen before in a village not too far away
from us, called Stilton. The vet asked if we know anyone from there
who might have cats there, but the answer to that one is no!
It would appear that this strain is travelling then, More's the
pity!!
I keep wondering whether it could possibly have been picked up by
Lilly when she was admitted to the previous surgery? None of them had
it prior to that, but now have it since she returned home. It would be
logical conclusion that Lilly picked it whilst her immune system was
low, then bandied it about after she got home...
It is terrible unfortunate, but there we have it.

apart from that how is Lilly doing? any more pictures? i checked out
the rcvs site yesterday and it' scode of professional conduct makes
interesting reading. basically your old vet is in serious breach of
several of their rules and they do have a complaints procedure you can
follow, I seriously urge you to talk to them as soon as you can when
you have got over this latest crisis. have a look at the website
pleasewww.rcvs.org.uk

Lilly is a *little better*, but considering the results of the bloods
that were done by the cromwell,lilly had( bronchopneumonia/
bronchosetica? & treated for felinecalivirus- probably infected
because of her constantly licking her rear end when she had pyometra.
They tell me that we are in fact very lucky to have Lilly still, & I
think that I agree with them.

They have complied a report to sent to the Royal College Of Veterinary
Surgeons when we are ready to deal with the matter. I would like to do
it straight away, purely because I feel that Lilly was left in a state
that required 24/7 nursing. And if that surgery were unable to cater
for these needs, then the simple courtesy of a single call, would have
given us the choice as to whether to move her to a facility that had
this care, or leave her where she was.

It strikes me that some of our readers feel that this was a prime
concern to me, but that it not the case at all I assure you.
I have the most unfortunate habit of blowing up when I am angry about
something, then thinking about it later, which is not one of my better
qualities, to my shame....

On reflection, perhaps I was a little hasty in throwing accusations,
however, I only stated what I felt because of the condition I found
her in, not to mention of course the fact that Paul spent an entire
night camped outside the surgery, in an attempt to gain access to our
cat, so that we could participate in her care.
I was more than disappointed, & unfortunately, I tried to make light
of a terrible situation that I think that might have made some people
have taken offense.
If this is the case, then I am sorry If anyone took it that way too.
It was the only coping mechanism that I was able to use to make light
of the fact that In reality, I sat here balling my eyes out. You
didn't need to hear that, so I tried to make light of a terrible
situation
When I posted *Help my cat is in a dire situation, & can anyone tell
me how the law stands regarding her rights and care*
....all I really wanted to know wanted to know was what my rights were
regarding Lilly's welfare, but more to the point, but more to the
point what were Lilly's rights regarding her predicament?

Thank you very much indeed for the link too. I intend to read it as
soon as I have finish posting this for you.

*I must stress that I am not doing this to gain compensation*.
I intend to follow it up because **I never want another single person
to go through what we did or feel like we did**(helpless with no laws
to state that our cat had a right to prime care), or their cat
either;compensation is irrelevant!

Never allowing the situation to ever happen to again to any other cat
owner is my prime concern & this will be detailed in intricate detail
when I make my report. I am sorry if some people took offense to my
fiery temperament- It was certainly never intended to cause offense to
any other individual.
I regret not sitting down & thinking about what I was asking before
calling out for help in a state of distress... But that was all it
was, A cry for help when feeling down, alone & frightened for Lilly's
welfare & whether she would make it through the illness that was
allowed to go on for so long, *Needlessly*(
fingers crossed you sort out this latest drama, poor little angels,
purrs from Jessie who is sending them from the radiator hammock bed
she has finally decided to use.

bookie- -

thank you bookie. The last week has been one of the unhappiest weeks
of my life. I can't think of anything worse than discovering all of
your feline family are sick & not knowing how to go about ensuring
that they all pull through it. It is all the worse knowing that every
single one of them has already been injected for cat flu already. I
can't help feeling utterly helpless!!
As you know, this litter of kittens that Belle had was intended to be
her last litter, so as I am certain that you can appreciate, they
meant all the more to us all. I did so want to enjoy them, fuss them &
make the most of the fact that they were our last litter..

To find out that they too are now affected by this calicivirus, or at
least a new mutation of it, is horrific. It is hard enough to accept
that your oldest companion who is reaching the end of their days, but
to think that a tiny little defenseless Kittie has contracted it too,
is absolutely devastating.

I took Biffy, our big fat Blue point birman who is Lilly's mate down
to the Cromwell with me as well as Belle & her kittens with me too, to
be checked out.

Once Belle had been looked @, it was decided that they felt it was
best not to treat her because she is showing no outward signs of
infection, other than constant sneezing, & one of her kittens as well.
I have been advised to keep an eye on her (Kittie's), & to make sure
that she is feeding. If she goes lame I am advised to rush her down
there, if she is dehydrated or flagging , I must give her a bit of
glucose solution, then try hand feeding her water until I can get her
to the vet.

If mummy starts showing signs of infection, then I must take her down
to the vet in all haste & they will inject her, & it should pass on to
their kittens via breast milk. But they would rather not treat her
unless there is an absolute need to.

Biffy is in a bit of a mess. He is no where near as bad as Lilly was
when we brought her home.
His eye's are infected so I have been using Chloramphemicol(forgive
spelling if wrong?!).
He has also been proscribed Marbocyl @20mg every day for the next
8days too.
Lilly is a bit under the weather, but given the circumstances, it is
hardly any surprise. She has stopped slobbering, but her eye's are
still a bit weepy & she is feeling a bit antisocial as well. Getting
her medication down her is not such hard work because her nose is
still a bit stuffy, so she has no other choice but to swallow what I
give her. Biffy has been fighting we silly , & it would seem those
welding gloves need to come out again because he really knows how to
get you one if he wants to...& he does want to , believe me!!
I will try and take a few photos of Lilly tomorrow so that you can
see that she is slightly improved.
She has an appointment (Lilly), to be checked over tomorrow to make
sure that her stitches are OK & that she is making the recovery that
they would like to see too.
Great to hear from you BTW,
S;o)
Purrs to you all from our mega purrers here to with thanks