Old September 26th 05, 05:17 PM
lewe

"Meghan" wrote in message
2 weeks ago my 2 year old indoor-only Manx "Gray" managed to rip out his
front right index claw. After 2-3 days it started to smell terrible so
off
to the vet we went. The vet said it may or may not grow back, and
prescribed Amoxi drops to fight off infection.

Gray has a big problem taking any kind of pill or liquid. It traumatizes
him every time and he ends up foaming and running around with pink/white
slime coming out of his mouth. After 9.5 days on the Amoxi drops he
developed diahrea, intense foaming and began vomiting pink foam. The vet
indicated to take him off the meds and see what happens.

Now, the terrible stench is back coming from the claw area. It is only
slightly swollen, and has a little pink nub which seems to always be wet.
I'm not sure if this is the claw growing back or an infection? It doesn't
seem to bother him at all - he lets me touch it etc. and I never see him
licking at it or limping.

My question is... if I call the vet again she's just going to prescribe
another antibiotic and we're going to go through another 10 days of
trauma/foam. Does the smell from the claw indicate a definite recurrence
of
the infection? Will it heal itself? I hate to subject Gray to MORE
antibiotics, but obviously want him to heal correctly.

Thanks, Meghan

my red one recently suffered a claw injury he got climbing up a tree when
he got scared (normally indoor cat, on a leash at summer place when scared
by dogs)
the claw wasn't gone, but the "claw capsule" (don't know the English but you
get what I mean?) was fractured, one week passed before we realised he was
really hurt, started smelling a bit from infection - he was moving about and
using his paw just fine, no limping and no picking at it.
Vet took one look at it and said it had to be cleaned and rinsed, so he had
an op within the hour. Did your vet do any cleaning at all, i.e. getting rid
of all the possibly remaining hurt part and rinsing away bacteria/infection?
As I understand this *needs* to be done.
The smell would most certainly suggest the infection is not gone. The red
one went back for check-up last Friday and the vet looked at his paw and
then proceeded to sniff it to make sure - looks kind of funny when the human
does the sniffing ...
Anyway all was good and the antibiotics was stopped, he took them for a
week, he also had some other pills the first few days against swelling and
pain to the bone.
I would definitely bring the cat back - maybe to another vet?
The antibiotics we got was pills that could be mixed with the food - "liver
flavour" it said on the pack.
Good luck!
--
lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se | cats' pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi