Old March 12th 11, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Cooking for cats with diarrhea

Patok wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:

Yes. Nowadays, the closest I usually come to raw fish is lox, which
is heavily smolked, and hardly "raw". One of my cats loves it too,
but it is very salty, and I don't think it is good for her. I used
to eat a canned sardine that was packed in Jalapeno's. One of my
cats loved it, even though it was so hot I could barely stand it. I
finally decided that she couldn't taste the heat, probably because
cats don't eat vegatable matter, so after millions of years, their
tongues have probably lost their ability to taste red pepper acid.

Actually, Bill, it is the other way around. Peppers have evolved
their "hot" substance to be specific against mammal plant-eaters.
Because peppers are meant to be eaten by birds, the substance is
selectively hot against mammals, while the birds don't feel it and
eat peppers to spread the seeds. While mammals (especially rodents)
destroy the seeds with their teeth while eating them, and the peppers
don't want that!

Its amazing to me that the pepper seeds manage to make it through the
digestive process without harm... Ain't evolution grand?