Old November 9th 11, 09:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default Beware of introducing a new cat to your old cat

Many years ago, I had a long time female house cat (that had been
taken from outside, as always). She was with me for about 10 years
before I let another cat inside. That did not work out. She hated
him. I know she was jealous. The situation was worse than I
realized. It caused her lots of stress, some probably hidden. He
died of an apparent heart attack when I was running an errand.
They were separated at the time, so I know she didn't kill him.

Nowadays, I have two former street cats as indoor cats. One is a
hard-core feral female. The other is a perfect house cat, timid
and very affectionate. Whenever I see them together, I thank my
lucky stars. It's a wonderful sight.

If I had to do it over again, I would have not introduced another
cat to the long time cat that I already had, at least not without
a guaranteed method of putting the new cat back where it came from
if the two did not get along.

--
I know this is old news to some.