Old June 1st 07, 06:15 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Claude V. Lucas

Default What should I do when my cat does this?

In article ,
..._.. wrote:

"Garret Swayne" wrote in message
thlink.net...
You know how sometimes cats get into a respiratory spasming thing like
they're trying to clear something from their throat (a hairball or
something??) I don't know what to call it. It's very rhythmic, and it
appears to be involuntary, like they're choking on something and they're
trying to expel it. Every cat I've ever had goes through this from time
to time. They're obviously in distress. I want to help and I'm thinking
maybe I should slap them on the back to help "dislodge" anything that's
stuck there, but I don't know if that would help or hurt. I'd love to
know what's going on and what I can do about it, but it never occurred to
me until now to go online to a cat interest group and ask!
So I'm asking. Does anyone know what that spasming is called, what causes
it, and what we humans can do to help our little furry friends get over
their episode?
-Garret Swayne
garret at garretswayne dot com

It's a hairball.

Do nothing at the time (maybe get a magazine to catch what they hack up.)

Hairballs come from the gut, not the lungs so your cat is not in danger of
choking. It is probably uncomfortable (vomiting usually is) but you can't
do anything to help.

Over the long term, brush or comb your cat so less fur gets in them. If you
use dry food, consider adding a bit of wet, or using one of the "reduced
hairball" formula foods. (The Purina one does wonders for my little
hairball generators... went from 4 piles a week to 1 pile a month with four
cats.)

Brush the kitty frequently enough to remove shedding hair, as others
have mentioned.

Also there is something called "Petromalt" that will help kitty
pass the hairballs. it is available at your friendly local
pet labyrinth and seems to be tasty enough that kitty will
eat it off your finger... Bubba likes it. Of course he'll eat
most anything... Anyway, it seems to help.