View Single Post
Old June 30th 20, 12:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peter W.[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Where can I find help for feline Myelofibrosis + Anemia

As I am sure you understand, it is the first condition that is causing the second. They are not separate processes, although they have separate names.

Myelofibrosis is progressive, and the treatments are best described as 'heroic' and something that *will* be painful for the animal as well as pretty much ongoing for the rest of her life. These include treatments using a combination of steroids and male hormones or thalidomide, transfusions, up to a bone marrow transplant.

The side-effects can be wretched, painful and often fatal.

Just to touch on the best chance of a cure - a bone marrow transplant - and that chance is only about 20% in cats, you will find that the procedure starts somewhere around US$20,000 and upwards from there for the post-op treatments. Not to mention the difficulty of finding a donor.

So, here is your dilemma: Spending (at least) somewhere in five figures for your cat, a sum that could do massive amounts of good in these troubled times, or come to terms with losing her, while having control on how that loss transpires. You might also look into volunteering your cat in a research program for Myelofibrosis if such a thing exists. But, again, none of these options will make the cat actually feel any better immediately, and the most likely outcome is that she will feel much worse.

Best prognosis, in general, is between 6 and 8 months, with progressive and painful deterioration in her health.

Were this my cat, I would have her euthanized while she still had some quality of life.