Old July 7th 03, 03:00 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Nicole Johnson" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hi all! Yes, I have converted. I still love my great dane, but the

newest
love of my life (Hailey the supposed maine coon) has me stressed. In all

21
of my years, I've never owned a feline, so perhaps having rescued a 4 week
old kitten that insists that I'm her mommie from which she can nurse.
While I'm crazy that she has fallen in love with me, I'm terrified that

I'm
going to do something wrong and kill her. So I'm going to start out

slowly
and ask a LOT of questions!

1. I've learned that milk causes diarreah (I can't spell), but are there
special nutrients that are in a cat mother's milk that she is missing in

her
kitten chow?

Milk causes diarrhea only if a cat's lactose-intolerant. Of 4 cats, none of
mine has ever shown a problem w/ milk, so far. (Given to them as small
treats; not a lot at any given time.) Her kitten food should be fine.
There is a product (or two) - KMR (or is it KRM??) - Kitten Milk Replacement
that's available at pet supply stores if you want to try & see if she'd like
her food supplemented.

2. Longhair beauty that she is, we're having a.emm...pooping problem.

Yeah,
it sticks. I've trimmed the hair down around the "area" but it still gets
stuck. I've been using baby wipes after she's gone (god, thank you for

baby
wipes) and they work well...takes away the smell and gets ride of the
doodie....but is there any way to keep from having to wipe her?

I'd say just keep wiping & keep her hair trimmed back there. Eventually
she'll (hopefully) clean herself, although you may have to come to the
rescue now & then - forever after. g

3. Declawing...Yeah, I'm sure you are all going to hate me for it, but

it's
getting done. She's an indoor cat and I'm afraid that she's going to

scratch
the babies. What age do vets usually recommend the procedure?

I don't know.

4. Spaying..what age?

Two months at the earliest, up to about 5 months. That's probably early
enough to catch her before her first heat.

I have more questions, but I'll let ya'll get to these!! Everyone's
expertise would help!

Good luck, & may she have a long life! :-)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Thanks,
Momma-Kittenhead