Old March 11th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Are Bengal cats really hypoallergenic?

"Lalee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have read from different sources than Bengal cats were hypoallergenic
and from others that they were not!

I was thinking about getting one as a gift to my boyfriend for our
6th anniversary but he is allergic to cats and dogs!!

Would it be a good idea to get him one?

Thanks for advising me!

No, they are not--moreover, they are hyperactive and a lot of cat to
handle, from what I understand. Get your boyfriend, if he wants a cat,
to take Claritin. I am allergic to cats, but live with two and Claritin
works
for me. (If it doesn't for him, there are others, like Zyrtec, that might.)

I also want to mention that getting a cat for someone as a gift is not a
good idea, especially if you are planning to buy a breeder cat instead
of adopting one of the many gorgeous cats that need homes. Your
boyfriend should really want a cat--they are a 20+ year commitment.
See if he wants one and if he does, take him to a shelter and let him
choose it. You pay for the spay and adoption fee. (Maybe 1/4 the
cost of a breeder cat, too.)

What you really don't want to do is create another unwanted cat by
supporting a breeder then having your boyfriend give him up due
to allergies or the fact that he does not really want a cat, right?

Why do you want to get him a cat? Just curious.