Old August 5th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

Default Human meat for cats?

Stan Brown wrote:

On vet's advice I've changed Milo to an all-can diet. But I wonder
about giving him some real meat as a treat, because the canned food
isn't chewy.

So -- pros and cons of real meat or shellfish as an occasional treat?
And if okay, raw or cooked?

We recently lost our eldest, Ripley, to diabetes. He was 16, and in
the last months all he would eat was chicken. My wife bought those
roasted chickens from the grocery deli and chopped them up just for
him.

When I was a kid, my mother had a cat who would eat nothing but cooked
calves liver.

When we did foster care for a rescue group, we used the cheapest,
stinkiest canned salmon we could find to acclimate scared or feral
newcomers. Not good as a steady diet, as I've been told it leaches
calcium out of their bones, but great for getting a scared kitty to
trust you.