Old November 19th 05, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Suggestions for window blinds that cats can't break?

In article ,
Joe Canuck wrote:

Juls wrote:

I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol) because
she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She pulls
the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
pieces.

I want to replace these, but not sure what to get. Would aluminum blinds
be stronger and not break? I think the slats break off from being bent
too many times. Or would they just get bent up and ugly?

What about those pull down shades made of canvas or fabric? I don't mind
her looking out, and she's very determined to do what she's going to do.
I just want something that will: not let anyone peek in at night when
the lights are on; not be dangerous to her; last awhile.

I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could maneuver her
way under the bottom and still look out the window if she wanted. She
might learn to do that instead of bending the slats apart and
peeking/climbing through.

Suggestions or experience with different kinds of blinds, good and bad?

Thanks,

Juls

p.s. Giving her a special window that's open at night doesn't work. She
and Jack pretty much like to be in whatever room I'm in.

Vertical blinds will withstand cat "abuse" more than the horizontal ones.

I'm going to have to look around, but at least I've always liked the
look of them. I've just never had any.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...I hadn't even thought of vertical.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g