Old December 19th 10, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default Update: Abelard needs help

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 00:51:38 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
news:67123250-6fd4-4bae-I'm sure Abelard would be happy to drink
something like this. He loves
all sorts of broths, he will even drink the liquid out of canned vegies
if he can get it. I've let him have all sorts of broths and he's never
turned one down.

He will stay on the drip until he's well enough to come home but I'd
like to have a special drink on hand for him the second he gets here.
That is, if he makes it. Both vets expressed doubts that he would be
able to survive this episode. I will know more in a few hours.
-------------
If he comes home and needs to drink rehydration fluid for CRF let me
know. I have the recipe. Kept KFC going for years until she was
snatched.

They do like it. It saves a fortune not buying sachets of exactly the
same formula at the vets.

Tweed

One well-known trick for getting elderly cats to drink enough is to have
several water dishes in different parts of the house. Cats have the
instinct to check any water source to see if it is drinkable (an instinct
probably coming from their desert ancestry). By having multiple water
dishes, repeatedly sampling the different water dishes will result in
their consuming more water than they would drink from a single water dish.

You are so right! Years ago when Princess adopted me, I had put
containers of water on or under all heat registers to humidify the dry
air. She used them all as her personal drinking bowls. MLB