Old December 28th 03, 11:57 PM
Cat Protector

I believe you may be mis-informed. I read that even our own United States
Government will not allow sick animals into the food change. I have no idea
how you can state that they allow sick cows to be put into the food chain.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Lucifer" wrote in message
The problem is that in most countries, all cows are tested.
In the USA, they are not.
The problem is that in most countries, sick animals (downers) are not
permitted into the food supply.
In the USA they are.
The problem is that in most countries, animal byproducts are not put
into the food supply of herbivores.
In the USA, they are.
The problem is that most countries have decided that the Americans can
regulate their beef industries any way they want, and those countries
can do the same.
And those countries are regulating their beef industries by banning
imports of US beef.
Which is precisely what the Americans did when some of those countries
experienced BSE outbreaks.

Feel free to eat all the beef you want; nobody's telling you not to,
your odds are pretty good.

But few people, especially foreigners, have any faith in the
pronouncements of the current US government.

And the US beef industry is going to suffer.

I, too, worry about the safety of pet food.

It's nearly unregulated.

From: olitter (PawsForThought)

What's scarey is that some pet
foods which just list "meat" by-products or "animal" fat, so the

source
is
completely unknown.

No, what's scary is the way the news media is freaking everybody out.

More
people die from auto accidents than from BSE (same for pets) by far.

Nobody is
freaking out over driving their car.

Looks like bad news for the pet food industry. What a mess.

Lauren, why don't you wait to editorialize after you find out just how

much
"pet food" came from this one cow. I know you have an agenda, but

geez!
This
isn't "bad news" for the pet food industry. I doubt there are any big
companies that buy meat from that one little farm and couldn't have

made
much
"pet food" from that one cow's brain and spinal cord.