Old July 31st 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Off topic and only because I thought it was funny

"Adrian" wrote in message
om
jmcquown wrote:
John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:04:13 -0700, Jofirey wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CatNipped wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message

That drives me up a wall! Years ago I worked with a guy who just
didn't get it. I'd be on my lunch break, sitting on the patio
outside the office with my nose in a book. He'd sit down and
start yakking at me. I'd give non-committal answers (often
merely a grunt!) and not even look at him. He never seemed to
get the hint. Since I had to work with the guy I couldn't really
say "**** off, can't you see I'm trying to enjoy my book?" Short
of being rude, what on earth does it take to give some people a
clue?

Jill
Believe it or not there are fools out there that honestly believe
everyone would rather talk to just about anyone than read a book.

Its not always bad to be deaf.

Jo

Once, years ago, I was sitting at my desk at work, eating my lunch
and reading a book. I usually sat at the table in the break room,
but, on this occasion, was at my desk. One of my co-workers came up
and said, "Since you are eating at your desk, that must mean that
you weren't really interested in lunch, and wouldn't mind doing
something for me instead of eating." I told him that I was, indeed,
interested in eating my lunch, and would get back to him when I was
through. He looked rather disappointed, but went away and let me
eat and read in peace.

I often ate (and read) at my desk. The reason being, there were TV's
in the break room and apparently everyone on break was deaf (no
offense to those truly hearing impaired folks here!). So they'd
shout over the TV to talk to each other, rather than turn the thing
down or off. Drove me up a tree. I'm pretty good at tuning things
out when I get absorbed in a book but the noise level in this case
was over the top.
People did try to interrupt me when I was lunching at my desk, but
I'd only let them do it if it was an urgent situation that couldn't
wait (I was the most experienced person in the department). Most
people respected it was my time, regardless of where I chose to spend
it.
Jill

At one place I worked it was impossible to have a quiet break so at
lunch time I sat in my car.

I"ve been known to take myself off to the sick bay (a room attached to the
women's toilets. Why there's no equivalent in the men's I have no idea) to
have a nap on the daybed there. They only annoying thing is when people wake
you up to ask if you are OK. Well I would be if you let me be for half an
hour....

It was *great* when I was pregnant. Sometimes my boss said to me (when I had
literally fallen asleep mid-sentence) "go take a nap". 15 or so minutes of
shut-eye and I was fine. Whilst there are many things that annoy me about my
boss, I cannot thank him enough for being understanding and compassionate to
a pregnant woman, there wouldn't be too many out there that would encourage
nap-taking rather than punishing 'falling asleep at work'.

Yowie