Old August 9th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

Default vaccine reaction with vomiting and bloody diarrhea

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 19:38:03 +0200, Nadia N. wrote:

What exactly else is a vet supposed to do other than what my vet did? He
checked her heart and the color of her gums, and gave medicines to try

I don't know. I'm not a vet nor do I play one on usenet. Vomiting is
serious business and I wouldn't spend the evening asking strangers on
usenet. Kitty'd be in the care of professionals instead.

I did take her to a professional. I took her to her vet - the same one
who gave her the vaccination. He gave her Primperan to stop the vomiting
and she has indeed stopped vomiting. I have the vet's emergency phone
number and he said to call at any time if I notice any change for the
worse. At the moment she is sleeping. Earlier she was even washing
herself, which to me is a sign that she is feeling better.

The reason I posted was because I was hoping to hear from other people
who have been in a similar situation with their cat, so I could have
some idea of what to expect, and to reassure myself that this happens
and cats get over it with the proper care. That was *AFTER* I had taken
my cat to the vet for the 2nd time, and after I had talked to him on the
phone. I was not looking for vet advice online. I said as much in my
original post, right at the top. Maybe you missed reading that part?

Again, does anyone have any advice how I can get Sweety to drink? She
still refuses any water or broth. She hasn't eaten or drunk since this
morning (about 12 hours ago), and she threw up the food she'd eaten
then. I am not concerned about her not eating, but I think she needs to
drink. I tried to give her water with a syringe and most of it ended up
on her fur. For a sick kitty she sure has a lot of fight in her. I don't
want to stress her too much by forcing water on her. It's bad enough
that I'll have to force bad-tasting medicine down her throat again. I
asked the vet about her not drinking and he thinks that she is still
feeling too nauseous to want to drink, and that she'll start drinking
when she feels better. He said that if she doesn't drink anything until
tomorrow morning it won't hurt her, and if she really hasn't started
drinking by then I should bring her back in. He repeated again that she
was not dehydrated when he looked at her the 2nd time (about 4 hours ago).

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety