Old August 9th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default vaccine reaction with vomiting and bloody diarrhea

"Nadia N." wrote

Again, does anyone have any advice how I can get Sweety to drink? She
still refuses any water or broth. She hasn't eaten or drunk since this
morning (about 12 hours ago), and she threw up the food she'd eaten

Drinking is critical. Too dehydrated they will have to put her on an IV.

Try broth again, but water it down a bit and make sure it isnt to salty.

then. I am not concerned about her not eating, but I think she needs to
drink. I tried to give her water with a syringe and most of it ended up on
her fur. For a sick kitty she sure has a lot of fight in her. I don't

Keep trying. If 'most ended on her fur' that means some got in? Thats
important. Do not use milk (unless special cat milk) as older cats are
almost always lactose intolerant so it would cause more loss than gain.

They make a sort of margarine for lactose intolerant people and it's mostly
water. If she likes butter, she may accept licking some of that.

want to stress her too much by forcing water on her. It's bad enough that
I'll have to force bad-tasting medicine down her throat again. I asked the
vet about her not drinking and he thinks that she is still feeling too
nauseous to want to drink, and that she'll start drinking when she feels
better. He said that if she doesn't drink anything until tomorrow morning
it won't hurt her, and if she really hasn't started drinking by then I
should bring her back in. He repeated again that she was not dehydrated
when he looked at her the 2nd time (about 4 hours ago).

I agree she probably isnt too much so if she's normally well aquated. 12
hours is acceptable (not preferred obviously)

I've only had experience with one cat that had a bad reaction to a shot, but
it was a bit like this. He was allergic to something in that shot. If it
helps, he did indeed start drinking a bit in the night and by morning was
happy to be waited on hand and foot with little tempting treats in tiny
amounts every hour or so. The first thing he accepted with a little bit of
my roomate's 'special margarine for the lactose intolerant' (her idea and a
good one as it worked).

He was my roomate's cat and they moved on so I don't know if Chauncy had any
later issues. Just that he didn't have any while she was staying with me.