Old January 19th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Kitten Converts Reluctant Owner

On 1/19/2017 2:35 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
FWIW, I've always wanted to try your signature potato leek soup, but while
potatoes are plentiful enough in my neck of the woods, finding somebody who
grows leeks around here seems to be like looking for the proverbial needle in a
haystack. I find that a little strange - we're not all THAT far from PA - but in
this area the farmers and gardeners seem to go for plain old onions and act like
they've never even heard of leeks if you ask. So that's what I'm up against
here. If you live in Niagara Falls, "low country" is the infamous Love Canal
neighborhood about a half a mile from me that's been abandoned because it's
contaminated with toxic waste that was dumped there decades ago.

Ah yes, the infamous Love Canal. I wouldn't want to eat anything grown
there either!

I had a difficult time finding leeks when I wanted to make that soup
recently. Publix, which is a very large upscale supermarket in the
Southern US, didn't have any. The person working in the produce section
had no idea what leeks are, which surprised me since they're usually
pretty knowledgeable. I had to go to Food Lion to find them. I dislike
having to shop at different grocery stores to purchase ingredients for
one simple dish. Oh well, at least it was just across the street rather
than miles away!

Jill