Old March 26th 04, 06:42 PM
LAL

"Karen" wrote in message

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:15:58 -0600, "Karen"
yodeled:

Yup. We call our "Mums" "Mom" or sometimes when younger "Mama" (though

my
siblings and I held on to that one for a long time actually.) "Mother"

is
generally held for referral use only OR when aggravated by said

parent.

Karen

And Mommy. My brother and I called our mother Mommy when I was little
(which is an increasingly long time ago ), and all the children I
knew growing up said Mommy. My mother called her mother Mommy when
she was little. I know English people say "Mum" or "Mummy," but I
never found it irritating. It's what they do. So what?

Oh, some things are just like that. I dislike "Ma'am". And I know a lot of
women who do and yet people use it all the time. I swear, it makes me feel
ancient!

Karen

Greetings...

It's not to make you feel ancient, it's to show respect. As a proper GRITS
(Girl Raised In The South), I will use ma'am to women I ~know~ are younger
than me when they're in charge and I'm asking them to do something for me
(IE: at the DMV getting my licence renewed, in a store asking for help).
Remember, it's not always what happens to you. It's how you choose to
react.

lal