Old January 10th 05, 04:31 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:07:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:06:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

"Mike Z. Helm" wrote in message
On 3 Jan 2005 05:55:49 -0800, "ken"

Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
blast of air?
Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?

Someone sent me a link for a "scat mat" (not that kind of scat). It's a
pad that gives a slight shock (it used a 9-volt battery and had 3
settings).

I didn't really think it was practical.

My kitten finally reached the kitchen counter a couple of weeks ago. I
hit her with a blast from a spray bottle, but so far she's only learning
to jump down as soon as I see her up there.

In fact, I just had to interrupt this post because I heard her in there.
She doesn't seem to realize that until she behaves herself, she's not
going to have free run of the house while I'm gone.

I'm being a real hard-ass about it because my few surviving house plants
are huddled in one corner of the kitchen counter nursing themselves back
to health.

I've fortified their position with a ring of empty beer bottles.

Maybe if I just covered the counters with dish soap before I left that
would deter her.

Thanks

Ken

1) Try putting orange or grapefruit peels all over the counter. Two cats
I've lived with hated the smell.
2) Plant a couple of pots of greens for her. Petco sells a packaged thing.
It's hard red winter wheat. It was about four dollars. If you have a farm
supply place nearby, you can probably buy a large bag for about the same
price. I planted it a week ago and it's about 3" high already.
Unfortunately, my cat ran away this past Sunday, but I'm keeping all the
cat
stuff in place for the moment.

All those orange peels and wheat grass must have scared her off.

I suggest getting a dog. Chihuahuas have some cat-like traits.

Actually, my cat never reached the point of familiarity with the house that
he got up on the counters. Too skittish, too much time spent hiding. I only
had him for two or three weeks. At times, I'd sit on the living room floor
for a half hour, perfectly still, holding the brush he loved (at his
previous home). He'd stalk me from 20 feet away, meow a bit, but never come
close. I suspect he's trying to make his way back to his previous home.

Have you ever considered seeking professional help?