Old May 1st 05, 05:06 PM
blueberries79

"Diane L. Schirf" wrote in message
nk.net...
In article LN6de.3214$aB.241@lakeread03,
"blueberries79" wrote:

It's amazing after reading this newsgroup for a few weeks how much

knowledge
is out there when odd situations arise. I dont know if anyone has had

this
happen before, but my cat Gabe loves to eat plastic. Not all kinds of
plastic, but he is extremely partial to plastic grocery bag handles, or
stray pieces of a ripped open bag that sticks out or that fell on the

floor.
Its as though his kitty cat nose sniffs out plastic within his range and

he
zooms over to it. He knows he's not supposed to eat it (ie, I hear

rustling
and walk into the room and he runs away from the bag, looking innocent,

or
stays there trying to swallow the piece he just ripped off) but he still
does it anyway. And its not just chewing, he actually eats it; I will

pry
it out of his mouth if I catch him at it. Sometimes he throws it up,
sometimes it just goes though his system... anyone know what gives?

This
seems extremely unusual! I just accepted it as part of him, but I

thought
maybe someone had some knowledge on the subject...

I don't know if Hodge actually tries to eat and swallow, but he does
like to chew on them and just about anything else that protudes. Given
his dominant dog behaviours, I sometimes wonder if he isn't part dog.
Anyway, I agree with Justin -- probably not very good for him, and
there's the potential for choking as well as for intestinal blockage. I
keep things like that away from Hodge. What he doesn't know about won't
hurt him. And then he can focus on his toys, which are a bit safer.

--
http://www.slywy.com/

I try to keep all plastic bags away from him; sometimes he just finds a
little piece on the floor from something that was opened, or if he gets into
the bathroom sometimes he finds wrappers and things. I bring it up today
b/c our bathroom door didnt shut tight and he was able to jimmy the door
open to get in and chew at the toilet paper wrappers. It always wakes me up
when I hear the chewing. Thats funny you mention your cat is like a dog b/c
Gabe is a bit like a dog too... he knows his name and comes when he is
called (something Oreo will NOT do, its beneath her!) Neither of my cats
like traditional toys though. I've gotten them lots of different things,
from fabric mice to plastic balls with bells in them to catnip (Gabe just
laid down on my arm, kind of hard to type now... lol) but neither of them
like toys. Gabe likes to swat around balled up paper or tries to lay claim
on a stack of paper on the ground, but other than chasing each other around,
thats about it. Definitely not typical, but I love them just the same : )