Old April 4th 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts

Default When should I put my cat down?

MLB wrote:
Brian wrote:
Brian wrote:

My cat has sugar diabetics, a Kidney problem, and cancer on his ear.

The vet treated him for his kidney problem but did not think it was
worth while treating him for diabetics as this is not his only
problem.
He has been operated on twice for cancer on his ear but it has
appeared on his ear again after the second operation.

The cat is 17 years 14 weeks old.

The cat sits outside to enjoy the sunshine and likes sitting on
someone's knee but spends most of the time in a certain location in
the kitchen. He is still drinking (a lot) and eating but is loosing
weight.

Should I continue to let the cat live what life he has left and wait
until his health is worst before considering putting him down?

Advice from others would be welcome thanks.

Regards Brian

Thanks everyone for your advice.
There is a group called 'cats protection league' in my country so
they may know of a different vet but I have a feeling that the vet I
go to is recommended by Cats protection League.

The main things I notice is a lact of weight
A lack of energy (but then he's always been a slow cat)
Staying in one spot, sometimes he will go outside.

On the possive side he is keen to get food and water and demands it.
He will play with his toy which is feathers string from a rod when I
wave it in front of him.
He also is able to walk back from the back section and will push on
the door to get out attention.

Maybe it's the cats age (17 years) and the fact that he has cancer on
his ear (after two operations) is the reason why the vet thinks he
should be put down. I think that the last operation might have been
too much for him and caused these health problems.

It's still warm and winter has not arrived so we don't have much
choice than to leave him outside when we are away. The neigbour is
not going to want to change his dirt box once or twice a day.

Regards Brian

Are there any boarding facilities wherever it is you live. I'd never
go away and leave a cat alone outside if I truly cared for the cat.

or ask a vet for a pet sitter who will stop in once every day or two to
empty the boxes and replenish food & water. a couple of litter boxes will
last a single cat for a while.