Old January 20th 17, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

Default I Am An Ailurophile...I Guess shrug

I was web-surfing early this afternoon and ran across a web page full of cat
facts. I won't steal them all, but I can't resist sharing a few of them. My own
comments appear in parentheses.

"Sir Isaac Newton is not only credited with the laws of gravity but is also
credited with inventing the cat flap." (I think he must have invented the cat
flap first. It has no provision for the effect of gravity - either on it or on
the cat. That's a serious design flaw. If you don't believe me, just let your
kitty get clobbered by it the first time she goes through it and see how long
it'll take you to get her anywhere near it again.)

"Ailurophile is the word cat lovers are officially called." (I've got nothing
witty to say about this. I just want to make sure we all know what we are
officially called. I'd never heard of the word before, but there you have it.)

"On average, a cat will sleep for 16 hours a day." (And with some cats, the
other eight hours will be the ones during which YOU are trying to sleep!)

"An adult cat has 30 teeth, 16 on the top and 14 on the bottom." (I think it's
those extra two on top she's always trying to sink into my arm.)

"There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of a cat and
about 120,000 per square inch on its underside." (Simply double those figures to
arrive at what's typically found attached to an ailurophile's sweater.)

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY