Old February 9th 05, 07:21 PM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:52:12 -0800, Dan M wrote:

One of the first places that Harri and I visited when we first got her
to California was a furniture company in Marysville. We ended up sitting
there (unnecessarily, it turns out) for half the day, and did a nice,
long kitten walk. We didn't cover much territiry, just the trailer
parking area and the small adjoining patch of grass, but it still lasted
well over an hour and was *fascinating* for Harri.

We're returning there this evening. We're to pick up a load of
unassembled furniture to deliver to Henderson, NV (next to Las Vegas).
Since we'll be there in the hours right after sunset, we might be able
to experience a dark walk there as well. That could be interesting!

We had an interesting dark walk last night. We got to the Sacramento
yard around 10 PM and did a kitten walk as soon as arrived. We walked
all around the yard, and when we walked along the south fence Harri was
fascinated by the sounds of frogs - lots of frogs - coming from the
field next door. Since she wasn't having any luck figuring out how to
get over or under the fence I picked her up and carried her out through
the gate and over to the edge of the field. As we walked I warned her
that where you find frogs you generally find lots of water as well, but
she didn't pay a lot of attention to what I was telling her

We reached the field and I set her down to explore. She led us off down
the edge of the field until we were directly opposite where she had
stopped to listen. She then led us into the field. We came to a large
puddle of water, and Harri was a bit frustrated. She would stick a front
paw into the water, pull it out and shake it off, then try with the
other paw. She finally stepped daintily into the water and got all four
feet wet then returned to the dry land. Finally she decided that if she
dashed across, maybe it wouldn't be too bad - she readied herself then
made a quick dash for the other side.

Her resolve faltered as the water got a little deeper. When the water
reached her tummy her resolve disappeared entirely. She attempted to
pirouette without touching the water (and almost succeeded, I swear!),
raced back to dry land, and kept going until she reached the fence
around the yard. She does NOT like getting her tummy fur wet!

We kept going down the road, making occasional brief forays into the
edges of hte field. We finally returned to the truck an hour and a half
later. Though it had it's traumatic moments, it was a quite enjoyable walk.

She is definitely an educated cat! MLB