Old July 2nd 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

Default OT - Fireworks?

Our municipal parks have *not* been watered - the city cut back on such
"luxuries" months ago before asking residents to voluntarily stop watering
lawns. The draught here is *serious* and we've been almost completely
surrounded by wild fires for weeks now.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jul 1, 4:07 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
All sales on fireworks have been banned this year in and around Houston.
The chance of more wild fires and the danger to homes is too great to risk
even a "sparkler" to ignite the draught ravaged foliage. That's perfectly
understandable to me - why take the chance of some dumb@44 setting the
city
on fire.

However, they're still planning a "Freedom Celebration" in Houston and
some
surrounding cities. Huh? Are their fireworks somehow different from
privately owned fireworks? Are the parks and other places they're planned
somehow spared from the draught? There is still a big "debate" about this
going on, but as of right now, the celebrations are going to go ahead as
planned.
What do you think? Should city-run fireworks be banned also, or allowed?
CatNipped

Your questions: 1.Yes they're different, LOL.
2. No, but city and county parks are usually regularly *watered* and
maintained
by their municipalities so yes, they are not as tinderbox dry.
3. Municipalities fireworks displays (we have a lot here as personal
fireworks either
possession or display will land you in the slammer with a huge fine)
are coordinated
(the beautiful displays combined with appropriate musical tributes)
and carried out
by *professinals* who do not, like the natives, blow off their
extremities with foolish
Duh actions while celebrating (with and without alcohol intake).
I used to be a rabid fireworks participant as laws in south FL are lax
and rarely enforced
for private detonating. I would spend two hundred bucks on the 4th and
New Years (I was
working then). My kids loved the "ground crawlers": the "tank", the
"spider", etc. much
more than what I liked: two stage mortar (that'll blow your head off)
and bottle rockets.
Get out and take in your nearest municipal display Monday: you won't
be disappointed.