Old July 24th 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cyberpurrs

Default Long-term Consequences of Starvation

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote
MaryL, I'm sad to see that you've had unflattering thoughts of me. Do
you think I'm bypassing the undernourished kitty for a "more perfect"
companion? I thought I kind of indicated in my second post that I had
connected with a few other kitties but my nurturing nature had drawn
me to the skinny girl over the others. Maybe that wasn't perfectly
clear, but otherwise I wouldn't have made my original post.

FirstHit

Yes, that was my reaction to your original post, but I was disturbed by
your next post when you began to talk only about visiting and the
possibility of others adopting, etc. A cat that has problems usually
never gets adopted and many (perhaps most) are euthanized. "Visiting"
simply does not overcome those problems. My Duffy is an example of cats
that remain in the shelter for months--a perfectly wonderful little cat
but bypassed for several months because he is blind. Actually, he was
fortunate because the people in that shelter clearly wanted to find a home
for him, so they kept him far longer than usual. And then I became the
lucky person who got to adopt him. I *hope* I overreacted, and in that
case, I will apologize. That is, I hope you will not decide to move on to
"healthier" cats and leave the emaciated cat behind.

He has already made this decision.