Old April 21st 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Default Apparently I Spoke too Soon (OT)

jmcquown wrote:
Tomorrow is my last day at my job.

Initially I'd hired on to work during "tax season". But about two
months ago I asked the office manager if they would need a receptionist
to work after the 15th, when they go to 3 days a week. She said, "Yes,
are you interested?" Sure! So she said I'd be working after tax season.

There have always been issues about someone having to be there to unlock
the door for me so I could get the place ready to open. The other
receptionist (at first they thought there would need to be two of us for
three months - ha!) had a key because her husband is also a tax preparer
there. So I asked this morning about getting a key since I was going to
be working M-T-W for the off season.

The office manager said, "Oh! The general manager hired a former
receptionist of ours to work this summer. He did that two months ago."
I just stared at her. Because two months ago was when I asked if they'd
need someone and she'd said I could have the job. She looked
uncomfortable and stammered, "I didn't find out about it until 2 weeks
ago." Again, I just stared.

When was someone planning to tell me? I wouldn't have walked out,
tempting though it may have been. (I was tempted to walk out the minute
I heard today and leave them in the lurch tomorrow, but I didn't do
that.) I could have been using that two weeks (while still working for
them) to look for another job! Gee, thanks, guys. I appreciate the
notice.

The office manager left around noon for a doctor's appointment. When
she came back in she had bags full of fried chicken for lunch. She
acted like everything was copacetic. Jill, have you eaten? I'd already
eaten the lunch I made and brought from home. Since I no longer give a
crap I'd heated up my lunch (salisbury steak with gravy, mashed potatoes
and steamed broccoli) and ate it at the front desk. I didn't care if a
client walked in and saw me eatng. A person has to eat, don't they?

On to new jobs. Here's where I got stupid. When I moved I got rid of a
bunch of extraneous paper from my file cabinet. Including copies of my
resume. They're stored on a 3.5" floppy. Guess what? My laptop
doesn't have a floppy drive. Whose does these days? LOL Now I'm going
to have to set up the old XP mini-tower in the kitchen just so I can
access my resume and update it. What a mess. I really don't want to
set this damn thing up in my kitchen. I'll have to set up the printer,
too, so I can print hardcopies and then work from the desk in my living
room. Then I get to disassemble the whole nine yards. Oh well, gotta
do what you gotta do.

Jill

Could you not borrow or buy a USB floppy drive?

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart