Old June 25th 16, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Follow-up (WAS: I Do Not Understand My Neighbor)

On 6/24/2016 4:32 PM, Bastette wrote:

Have you talked to her about it at all? Voiced your concerns? It wouldn't
have to be expressed as a criticism of her. You could frame it like, "I'm
concerned that you will be liable, have you considered what would happen
if someone's cat died because you let them outside when they asked you
not to?" So what I'm suggesting is that you approach her like you're on
her side and you're concerned that she's leaving herself open to big
trouble. That might motivate her to stop letting them out, without feeling
alienated.

I haven't approached it from that angle, no. She sure was worried when
she couldn't find him so it may have crossed her mind.

The first time I spotted him (upsetting Buffy) she told me he "escaped"
the first day. (I'm not convinced of an escape.) She justified letting
him out after that because he found his way back.

She *knows* how I feel about it. When she told me the owner
specifically told her not to let Blaze out I was so surprised I blurted,
"You did it anyway?!" Her attitude is "but he likes it!" Maybe so but
it's not up to the cat, or her.

If it happens again I will definitely take this approach. I'm not
convinced it would do any good, though. She's very stubborn. She seems
to believe a cat will just sit there like a trained dog just because she
tells it to stay. Buffy is only my second cat but even I know better
than that!

Jill