Old February 28th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Cat off the leather sofa

wrote in message
I am about to buy a new leather sofa and I don't want my cat to ruin
it by scratching it to pieces. I know that they sell some sprays for
this purpose. The problem is that I live in a studio apartment.
I do not want something that is so strong that my cat will be
uncomfortable in the apartment. I just want to keep him off a
particular piece of furniture. Can anyone recommend a product that is
effective, but not overly strong. Thank you

They don't work. Get your cat one of these:

http://www.cosmicpet.com/scratchers.htm

And other scratchers, to give them something they would rather scratch than
your couch. Forget about those short little posts--get one tall enough for
the cat to stand up and stretch in order to scratch, that is what they love
in a vertical scratcher.

Once I got good scratchers my cats never went near my furniture again.

Other things: trim your cat's claws every couple of weeks. It is not hard if
you have someone to help you. (One person rolls the kitty in a towel so no
biting or scratching can happen, the other trims.)

Put a throw over your couch when you are not there.

And last but not least: have you HAD a leather couch? They are expensive and
uncomfortable. Just my 2 cents.