Old July 6th 12, 10:43 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Default What is treat as opposed to food?

Forgot one question (thanks for all answers so far). I come across
suggestions that cats should be given "treat" once in a while. In human
terms I can understand that salad is food, banana split a treat. What
is a treat for cats, as opposed to food? How often?

I translate "Treat" as "Junk Food For Cats" - i.e. food that is
specifically engineered to satisfy or even enhance certain
built-in cravings without regard to nutrition or health.

We use something called "Purina Whisker Lickin's Crunch Lovers"
and our cat just *loves* the stuff. It's little hard chunks in a
plastic container.

We started using it as a bribe to lure it down to the rec room
where it gets locked in for the night - so it gets a half-dozen
or so chunks every day.

It's been at least three years now and the Cat's healthy as ever
- probably healthier than when we got it - and hasn't gained
weight.

A side benefit: if we lose track of where it is or if it's
outside and we need for it to come inside; just shake the
container. If it's within earshot, it comes running.

--
Pete Cresswell