Old January 18th 04, 05:11 PM
Mary

"davout" wrote in message
om...
Our cat is 17 years old and is in reasonable health for his age.

However, about a six months ago he started to emit this very deep
moaning cry, almost a growl.

He usually starts this when he comes through the cat flap back into
the house, or perhaps in the middle of the night when nobody is
around.

Is this usual? Any ideas what this might mean?

When she was about that age, my cat began doing this out of the blue.
I of course immediately took her to the vet, thinking that she was in
pain. She was in good health and they found no sign of any abnormality
at all. When I asked why this sudden and unusual vocalization, the vet
told me that sometimes as they get older cats get a little senile, and
this is one of the ways this manifests. Kind of like they get
forgetful and all of a sudden say "Where ARE youuuuuuuuu?"

However, I have another cat who started doing this, and she had hurt
her leg. She cried soulfully when she got in and out of the cat box.

If kitty has not been to the vet, he needs to go, if only to set your
mind at ease. These are the years cats can be at their sweetest and
most loving. I know you want to be sure you have your furry kid as
long as possible.