Old July 7th 03, 04:15 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Nicole" wrote in message
thlink.net...
In response - Yes, I've looked at the alternatives. Soft Paws (they even
come in cute colors!!), training, sprays, the other procedure that starts
with a T that I can't spell (tendenoniton or something), laser surgery,

nail
clipping, living with it.....so I asked a breeder in the area, because I
didn't want to do something that would hurt her....she told me this...
"if Hailey is an inside cat, she doesn't need to protect herself (she's an
only child). If declawing was so inhumane, no vet would declaw any

animal."
It took a lot of convincing, and my vet even let me watch a procedure...so
we're going to go through with it. I realize that it's a VERY

controversial
topic, but I appreciate your advice! I'll keep ya posted!
Momma-Kittenhead

Uh-oh... though thinking yourself prepared, you have no *idea* the can of
worms you've probably opened yourself up to w/ this one, I'm afraid. The
declawing issue has got to be the biggest source of arguments & flame wars
on cat ngs, w/ the indoor-outdoor issue probably in 2nd place. I'm not
pro-declaw, but otoh I'm not vehemently against it, either. Two of my cats
have been front-declaws (one was my decision back in '86, & the other came
that way when I adopted her in '93) - w/ no resultant problems that I can
tell. Although, I assume as w/ any surgery, there must *sometimes* be
adverse after-effects.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon