Old July 7th 03, 04:19 AM
Purplecat

"Nicole" wrote in message
thlink.net...
In response - Yes, I've looked at the alternatives. Soft Paws (they even
come in cute colors!!), training, sprays, the other procedure that starts
with a T that I can't spell (tendenoniton or something), laser surgery,

nail
clipping, living with it.....so I asked a breeder in the area, because I
didn't want to do something that would hurt her....she told me this...
"if Hailey is an inside cat, she doesn't need to protect herself (she's an
only child). If declawing was so inhumane, no vet would declaw any

animal."

Actually, in many countries no vet will...

Do look into this a *lot* before you decide to do it. It's such a
controversial procedure that many countries (incl UK, Australia and most of
Europe) in the world have declared it illegal or "extremely inhumane" and
wont perform the procedure except in extreme *medical* situations.
http://www.declawing.com/list.html

Indeed, it's taken for granted to such a degree in Aus that declawing is
inhumane (and outright illegal in a number of states) that I didn't even
realise it was still a regular procedure anywhere else in the world. There
are several million pet cats in Australia. Their owners have all coped just
fine with their kitty's claws. Give it a go.

Purplecat

PS If you're interested in getting a number of different opinions, perhaps
e-mail vets from other countries and see what they say. I know there are a
number of vets online that will happily answer questions. The impression I
get is that a lot of countries/international vet associations feel the US is
behind the times on the declawing issue...